Monday, July 5, 2010

one: a bed at the bottom of the darkest hole.

song: when it rains by paramore.

april 1998

The phone rang in Jade Carlson’s room. She was quick to grab it, knowing exactly who it was and why they were calling. That, and if her parents woke up, Jade would be grounded for having friends call late.

“Come over, I’ll make the spare bed for you,” Jade said in a whisper, “I promise.”

Hanging up, the seven-year-old, dark-haired girl leaped out of bed and began to pull out the couch. She busied herself making a comfortable space for her visitor, and before long there was a tap on her window. Jade rushed to it, drew the curtains and saw the tear-streaked face of her best friend- eight-year-old Lena Brown.

Opening the window, Jade held out her arms and welcomed Lena into a hug. The two little girls were quiet for a moment as Lena started to sob into Jade’s shoulder. Jade knew about what was going on at Lena’s house, and this wasn’t the first time she had had to do this for her.

“He’s not going to come back this time,” Lena sobbed, “He’s gone for good.”

Jade let go of Lena, “How do you know?”

Lena looked down at the floor, “Because he took everything this time.” She turned to look at the bed Jade had made, “I wish they’d both go so I can live here.”

A rustling noise in the next room caused the girls to jump. After a moment the noise died down. Jade breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that they were safe. She closed the window and the curtains.

“We have to be really quiet,’ Jade whispered, climbing into her four-poster canopy bed, “John has a tournament tomorrow.”

“I wish I had a big brother like John,” Lena whispered back, snuggling into the soft sheets of the makeshift bed, “I don’t want to be alone anymore.”

“You’re not alone. You have me.”

“You’re my best friend, Jade.”

“You’re my best friend, Lena.”

“Are we gonna be bestest best friends forever? Even when we grow up?”

“Yes, bestest best friends forever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment