Monday, July 26, 2010

four : no fighting wars, no ringing chimes, we're just feeling fine

Song: Quiet, Lights

The car was quiet, I was getting tired and the GPS was making funny noises.

“Stupid thing” I mumbled giving it a whack. Just a few seconds later, the screen went black.

“Is that dead?” Jade asked from the backseat.

“No, it’s fried” I sighed, “does your iPhone have a map?”

She pulled it from her purse and moved it around trying to get service, “nothing”

“Well, we can’t go much further without a map, who knows where we’ll end up” I replied.

I stopped the car and sighed taking off my seatbelt and opened the door.

“Where are you going?” Jacob asked.

“Well, if we drive too much further we’ll run out of gas, and even if there is a gas station near here, we don’t have the gas to get there so maybe we can get a map while we get some gas”

“You’re not going alone” Jade said, “I’ll come with you”

“No” Anton said climbing out of the car, “I’ll go, who knows if you two will come back when you leave”

I just sighed, “Fine, can we just go please, Jade and Jacob, you guys guard the car”

“You can’t leave me with her” Jacob whined, “What if…”

“She’s harmless Jacob, I promise, plus, we won’t be long…at least I hope not”

Anton mumbled something to Jacob in Swedish and Jacob looked relieved. I just smirked as I started walking. He quickly caught up and walked beside me.

“So…”

I just turned to look at him, “Um…well, what position do you play…for your team?”

He thought for a minute, “Is it…left wing? I think that’s how you say it. I shoot left”

“Oh…that’s cool” I smiled, “I have to be honest, I was never really into hockey until I met Taylor”

“Does Taylor like hockey?”

“He plays, against you…”

“Oh. What team?”

“Canada”

“Taylor Hall?” his eyes grew wide.

I just nodded my head, “That’s the one”

“I heard about him from a teammate, Magnus Paarjvi-Svensson, he said Hall was good”

“He’s incredible…on the ice”

I looked up at him and his face fell, “Your friend…she doesn’t like him”

“Yah, there were a few incidents…that involved him”

“Oh…I see” he replied, “Well…can I ask what?”

I didn’t know this guy, I really didn’t think I could really trust him, especially something this personal in my life.

“It’s complicated”

“If you don’t want to talk about it, it’s fine” he shrugged, “I don’t blame you. I have a little sister, she just turned five”

I just smiled, “Really? Does she look like you?”

I saw his face turn red a little and I just smirked, “I wouldn’t say that. She’s a lot braver than me. She wants to try everything. We saw a bunch of people skydiving before I left and she told me that’s what she wanted to do when she grew up”

I just laughed, “I have to meet this girl”

“Her name is Hanna” he smirked, “She’s a charmer”

“Sounds like my kind of girl. I love kids”

“Really?” he replied, “So do I. I watch Hanna when I’m not playing a game or at practice”

“That’s too cute”

I saw him smirk a little bit and I was quick to respond, “You know, the fact that you watch her and everything…”

“I love her” he said, “I know it may sound crazy, but she was there when no one else was”

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised he was sharing this with me.

“When my girlfriend broke up with me for someone else, she told me to forget about her, she said ‘she wasn’t that nice to you anyways’…oh wow, you didn’t need to hear that”

“I’m a little surprised actually”

“What? Why? Not all of us hockey players have girlfriends. Even Jacob is single, he gets girls chasing after him constantly”

“This is true, but I was talking about the fact that you told me that”

“Oh, I don’t want to be rude, if telling you makes you uncomfortable”

“No” I laughed, “It’s really okay Anton, I just wasn’t sure you wanted to”

“Well…I don’t normally talk to people about these things”

There was an awkward silence between us as we kept walking. Finally he spoke, “Do you think they’re okay?”

“I’m sure they’re perfectly fine, why?”

“Last thing we need is our star goalie going missing” he smirked.

No comments:

Post a Comment