Sunday, September 19, 2010

six : i haven't got it all figured out just yet

Song: Hand In My Pocket, Alanis Morissette

Jade decided to drive this portion of the drive. I sat in the passenger seat as the two boys sat in the back. It was fairly silent, except for the two of them mumbling back and forth in Swedish.

“Why can’t you just talk English?” I asked.

“We don’t want to” Jacob replied.

“You know, it sounds like you’re hiding something” Jade spoke up.

“We’re not” Anton said quickly.

“Now it really sounds like you’re hiding something” she replied.

“So what if we are” Jacob replied, “What’s it to you?”

“I was just trying to prove a point” she shrugged, “And everyone’s too quiet, I needed a conversation”

I just saw him roll his eyes and sit back in his seat.

As the drive went on it seemed to be getting longer and longer. I just sighed and decided to plug in Jade’s iPod.

“What do you want to listen to?” I asked Jade scrolling through her artists.

“OH” she replied grabbing the iPod from my hand, “There”

I looked at the iPod, Rabbit Heart (raise it up) by Florence and the Machine.

“What is this?” Jacob spoke up with a disgusted look on his face.

“Music” Jade simply replied.

“Garbage” he mumbled.

“Excuse me!?” she snapped.

“Guys, relax” I replied, “It’s not a big deal”

“He called my taste in music garbage”

“I was talking about the song” he replied, “stop being so dramatic”

Jade got really worked up and they started bickering back and forth as Gary started quacking wildly.

“GUYS, Gary’s getting all worked up”

They stopped for a minute but continued bickering when I stopped talking. I just sighed and grabbed Gary from Jacob’s hands.

“Sorry little guy” I said.

I looked up and saw smoke coming out of the hood of the car. I slapped Jade and she finally took notice.

“Now you broke the car” Jacob said.

“I’m going to kill him” Jade replied ready to pounce.

“Jade, just see if you can fix it. If not, we’ll find a place that can”

We all stepped out of the car for a bit of fresh air. There was a sign that indicated we were close to a town. Hopefully one that could help us out, at least a little bit anyways. I handed Gary back to Jacob and went to talk to Jade.

“Are you okay?” I asked her, “Calmed down a bit?”

“I guess” she sighed, “He’s being a dick”

“He’s a guy, they’re supposed to be” I smirked.

She just half laughed and looked back over at him, “GARY!”

I looked over and Gary had taken off towards another group of ducks. Jacob standing there happily as he met up with them.

“What did you do!?” Jade exclaimed.

“It’s his mother” he replied, “And his little siblings”

She just smacked him on the arm, “Why did you do that? I was getting attached”

“Sorry” he shrugged, “But it was time for him to go home, you wouldn’t dare keep a baby from his mother would you?”

She just sighed, “Fine…I suppose you have a point. I’m going to take a walk, see how far away this town is”

I sat on the hood of the car and talked with the guys. It was almost an hour and I was starting to get worried about Jade, until I saw a tow truck come by, with her in the passenger seat. It stopped as she jumped out with a large smile on her face.

“What the hell is this?” I whispered.

“This is Jose” she explained, “He’s going to get our car back to his garage, and he’s letting us stay in his hotel for the night”

“Your friend let me in on the story, you seem like you’re having bad luck” he said.

“Thank you, very much” I said.

We all squeezed into the tow truck, as Jose hitched the car to the back of it. I ended up on Anton’s lap so everyone could fit. Just my luck.

“Sorry about this” I said.

“It’s okay” he said. But you could tell he was uncomfortable, his face was as red as a tomato, if I can use that comparison, “Are you okay?” he asked.

“I’m fine” I replied quickly, “Are we almost there?”

“Two more minutes” Jose replied.

“Why am I the one that ended up on someone’s lap?” I said.

“You were the last one in” Jade replied.

“I probably could have squeezed--”

“Stop complaining, it’s not like you’re cheating on Taylor or anything”

“Shut up Jade” I snapped.

Finally Jose stopped the vehicle and I was only seconds jumping out. I don’t know why, it was just really awkward, and I wanted to get out as soon as I could.

“I’ll leave you guys here, and take this to the garage, should be ready by morning”

“Thank you” Jade replied as he drove off.

“We’re staying here?” Jacob asked looking up at the hotel.

“I feel the same way” I replied.

“What else are we supposed to do?” Jade asked, “We should just make the most of it”

“There’s a roadhouse across the street” I replied turning around, “You guys hungry?”

“The less we have to be in that hotel, the better” Jacob replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment